Sunday 26 February 2012

The Facebook Fix

0 comments

I can’t really decide if the following is good news or bad news. A recent study in the journal Psychology Studies has found that the urge for a ‘Facebook Fix’ if you may, is just as strong, if not stronger than the decoy of tobacco and alcohol.
My last blog post for SEO Consult was back in July of 2011, exploring the gamification of social media and in the presence of the social stock market, Empire Avenue. If this recent study is anything to go by, then pardon the speculation, but I’d expect that users Facebook shares have rocketed.

Brilliant news for Facebook, not such good news for many partners, or so called ‘social widows’. Just over one year ago Digital Buzz highlighted that “48% of 18-34 year olds check Facebook right when they wake up… About 28% check their Facebook on their smart phones before getting out of bed”. However that was early 2011 and in the world of social media, that could be decades ago (no exaggeration there at all). At the end of December 2011 Facebook announced that they had 845 million monthly active users with an average of 483 million daily users. Looking again at Digital Buzz (I should be on commission) they highlight a statistic from GigaOm that 25% of college students and young professionals alike experience between 3-5 social interruptions in a given hour, while 84% get interrupted at least once while trying to complete an assignment.
I find these figures astonishing, I am certain that I can go longer than an hour before my mobile phone goes off, granted this should maybe be an alarm for me to stop stalking those at Digital Buzz and make friends in the ‘real world’ but in my eyes the figures speak a thousand words. They are highlighting the true addiction that is Facebook. If I had a pound for every time I heard “I saw on Facebook” or “Did you see what x said on Facebook” lets just say I would be giving Mark Zuckerburgs bank balance a run for its money.
Modern life is only feeding addictions, making it easier all the time for users like myself to check their Facebook feed. So this gets me thinking, I know I’m not alone, but I would like to hear from you if your news feed has become your night time reading and portal to the world each morning. When will you get your next Facebook fix?

0 comments:

Post a Comment